Saturday, December 31, 2011

A dreaded GI illness

Warning: This post contains some graphic content and may not be suitable for the weak stomach and non parents.

It started innocently enough, Evan wasn't too keen on nursing, which was strange, but acceptable. He came up to me and gave me a hug and then puked down my leg and then I picked him up he threw up down my shirt. Poor baby. I thought maybe he just had gotten too excited because there were people over and had a little tummy ache. Boy was I wrong and it was the beginning of a GI illness of exorcist proportions. He put that pea soup scene to shame.

From that moment he was throwing up about every 10 to 20 minutes for about an hour or so. It is absolutely heart wrenching when your toddler dry heaves and doesn't comprehend why and just wants you to hold him and nurse him. He was unbearably sick. He fell asleep in my arms which in itself is rare because going to bed usually takes at least 30 minutes of nursing. He was just too sick.

Thankfully, my mom who is the worst at handling vomit, convinced me to stay at her house. She was a great help, bringing me liquids, towels and shirts.

When it was actually time for bed, my poor child wanted milk. I couldn't deny it from him. Cue the exorcist. Full tummy of milk vs. mom. Mom lost.

At 6:30 he woke up and asked for milk. It was a repeat of bedtime milk but more epic. Again heart breaking.
Dealing with this was probably the most heart breaking thing I have dealt with thus far. He has had a few episodes of vomiting in his life but nothing like this. The poor thing just wanted fluids (which was great... but not great.)

He was sick for a whole 12 hours, somehow this morning, he drank a whole sippy cup of pedialyte and gatorade with a dash of seven up and some toast and oatmeal. He has held that down for over 2 hours and even nursed some. 7 towels, 4 mommy shirts and 3 Evan shirts later, I am totally exhausted. He has diarrhea now, which is way more manageable than last night.

I am very grateful for my mother's help because I don't how I'd do it without her.

No comments:

Post a Comment